Monday, August 2, 2010

It's Cookietown, Jake. Not Chinatown...

Destination Cookietown
July 23, 2010

So, the first ride to be documented is to a small "town" called Cookietown, Oklahoma (just south of Lawton, OK). Population: 5. Okay, maybe not five, but pretty damn close. The sign alone is worth the drive.



If you're looking for cookies while in Cookietown, best pack your own. I know! What a disappointment. For an update click here.

So, the riding possibilities are relatively endless from here, but since Oklahoma 5A runs right into Cookietown it's a pleasing option. Taking 5A east and turning North onto 5 (it's an L-shaped highway I guess) will take one into a small town called Walters.  The roads are pretty smooth. But, also kind of dull (aka straight).

Walters' main street is known as Broadway. It's a little off Broadway if you ask me. This small community is exactly what comes to mind when one thinks of  idyllic small-town America. A coffee shop, The Silver Spoon (open Monday- Friday), a gym, library, Chamber of Commerce, gazebo, court house, and many other charming things can be found here. The streets running East to West through Walters are named after States. So, I've now been to Texas, Colorado, and Nevada. And, all in a day!

My ride ended abruptly in Lawton, when I found a small kitten abandoned under a pay phone at a gas station. I tried convincing the firefighters that showed up that they needed a new, cute mascot. I suck at sweet-talking. She rode home (a hot 25mile-ish trip) crammed in my small backpack. I've named her Sprocket.

Pictures from this ride can be found on Wanderings of a Girl Ryder's Facebook album!

This blog is brought to you by the lovely (biased opinion, we know) Stone Turtle – Lodging, a small family owned and operated hotel / lodging business near Lawton, Oklahoma, Fort Sill,  the Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge, Meers and Medicine Park. Yeah, that’s right we’re a small lodging business close to all the awesomeness Oklahoma has to offer!!

4 comments:

  1. Believe it or not, I am from Cookietown! My friend didnt believe methat it existed, and in her search, this popped up. Pretty cool that you went through, even though it ain't much to look at(especially since there are no more cookies since the store shut down and burned down).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Cookietown! I visit on a semi-regular basis. So next time, I'll find a cookie for me on the sign, right? ;)

      Delete
  2. I spent twenty-two years living 4 1/4 miles from Cookietown, OK. My family "traded" with the Cornelius store. There were two, one on the NW corner and the other on the SW corner of the intersection. So many soda bottle caps in the driveway, no gravel needed. Double screened doors for entrance. Cool cement floor with water cooler blowing. Men playing dominos. We could gather the glass soda bottles and turn them in for deposit refund. Simple times. Treva

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for sharing! I would love to have seen that floor! I believe Bruce Lee said that "Simplicity is the key to brilliance!" I still wander through Sterling on a semi-regular basis, and there are always older gentlemen sitting in front of the old service station shooting the breeze. Such a wonderful sight.
      Happy Adventures,
      Dani

      Delete