Thursday, October 7, 2010

Cookies

So as I was...um...studying the other day, I came across a website about ghost-towns in the U.S. and O!Canada. Under Oklahoma I found two that I know very well. Cookietown (yeah, I'm slightly obsessed with this "town") was listed.

My mind is now at peace, Cookietown once had cookies.


Apparently, Cookietown used to have a general store, circa 1928, (and that was it) and the proprietor, Marvin Cornelius, would give out cookies to kids (so the legend goes). One kid didn't want to leave "Cookietown" and thus the name was established.

This general store is still supposed to be recognizable (now whether that means that there's a building, a foundation, or a cobblestone to mark the spot- I don't know). I guess this gives me an excuse to pack a few cookies and head out to Cookietown again.

5 comments:

  1. The old store burned a few years ago. It was directly across from Union Valley Baptist Church. The church still stands and has a few members. Mainly it is a farming community with a rich heritage. Most of the old timers have died, and a few remain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the info! Cookietown is one of my favorite places. You wouldn't by chance happen to know if there's a picture of the old store floating around, would you?

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the blogging on this little town. I accidentally came across it looking for places to ride my VTX to in OK. The coolest part is although I was born in Chickasha, my grandpa nicknamed me Cookie the day I was born. That's all he ever called me. So, a ride over and a pic is a must. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A definite must! Especially if that's your nickname!

      Delete