Friday, October 15, 2010

HWY 115

Destination: HWY 115

I have to admit that this is one of the best roads I've come across in the immediate area. It's about 14 miles (fromMeers to Hwy 19 JCT) of Sweepers and a couple of hard-turns. It runs along the north side of the Wichita Mtns.

15 turns in 14 miles. Okay, okay, so it's not Deals Gap(318 turns in 11 miles) or anything, but all the same it's pretty good for Oklahoma. Take note that my 15 count may be slightly off. It's kind of like when I make my coffee, I lose track of how many spoonfuls of coffee I put in the coffee maker.

The last corner on the north end (up towards Mtn View) is by Saddle Mountain.






The bigger loop is nice, too. But, sometimes I just ride Hwy 115, and turn around and do it again.


OK history lesson for the day: Saddle Mountain.

Saddle Mountain was a Baptist missionary for the Kiowas established in 1896. By 1903 there was a chapel/schoolhouse. The church was closed in the 1960s and the building was moved to Cache, OK. Isabella Crawford, the missionary who came down from Canada in 1896, is buried in the cemetary by Saddle Mountain.

More pictures can be found on WGR's Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment